The Marine Advanced Technology Education (MATE) Center is a national partnership of organizations working to improve marine technical education and in this way help to prepare America’s future workforce for ocean occupations. Headquartered at Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) in Monterey, California, the MATE Center has been funded as a National Science Foundation (NSF) Advanced Technological Education (ATE) Center of Excellence since 1997. The MATE Center also receives funding from NSFs Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST) program and the Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program. Additional support comes from industry sponsorships and SeaMATE Store sales.
The MATE Center Focuses Its Efforts In Eight Major Areas:
- Supporting institutions interested in developing or improving technology-related education programs. [Read More]
- Assessing workforce needs and developing knowledge and skill guidelines for new and emerging ocean occupations.
- Developing curricula in marine technology, underwater robotics, marine geospatial technology, career awareness, and ocean observing systems.
- Offering professional development for high school, college, and university faculty that focus on a broad array of marine technologies, workplace skills, and pedagogical innovations.
- Conducting regional and international underwater robotics (ROVs) competitions to increase students’ learning experiences and build academic and employer partnerships.
- Improving student preparation for the workplace through at-sea and shore-based technical internships.
- Disseminating MATE products, including curricula, textbooks, occupational guidelines, competencies, and process guides (internship manuals, survey materials, etc.) both in traditional formats and electronically though the Center’s web site.
- Disseminating up-to-date, comprehensive workforce information via OceanCareers.com (www.oceancareers.com) created in partnership with the Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence (COSEE).
D-B EXCEL is home to the 1st MATE Underwater Robotics Team in TN--The R-Mateys! The MATE Team is currently building their 1st Ranger Class competition ROV and will be demonstrating/videoing Ranger missions at the Regional Competition at the Kingsport Aquatic Center on April 28th in the hopes of qualifying for the International Competition in June, 2018.
Follow their journey on Twitter @MATE_DBEXCEL